Laird Petrie, retired associate examiner with the Office of the State Comptroller, provides budgeting and accounting technical assistance to municipalities belonging to the five Tug Hill Region Councils of Governments (58 towns and villages) under contract with the NYS Tug Hill Commission. Services provided by Mr. Petrie are listed below. If you’d like to take advantage of this service, please contact Jennifer Harvill at the NYS Tug Hill Commission, [email protected] or (315) 785-2380.
- Preparation of annual budgets including attendance at budget workshops when requested.
- Assist with preparation of the Annual Update Document (AUD) required to be filed with OSC each year.
- Train municipal accounting personnel and aid with developing accounting records required by OSC.
- Assist with multi-year capital plans including establishing, accounting and reporting for capital reserve funds.
- Assist with long-term operational plans including the use of various reserve funds authorize by General Municipal Law.
- Assist with the planning, budgeting and accounting for capital projects including those involving debt and grant funds.
- Assist local officials with shared service and government reorganization initiatives (dissolutions, consolidations, etc.).
- Assess various internal controls and policies and make recommendations to governing boards as to how to effectively safeguard municipal assets.
- Provide training/technical assistance on various other municipal topics.